Chocolate for breakfast? Whaaaat?
I was never an oatmeal person but recently I’ve converted. Or maybe I just like to have an excuse to pile on toppings. I’ve always been big on toppings – ice cream sundaes, pizzas, tacos – it’s the toppings that cinch the deal.
And this breakfast couldn’t be easier. The basic oatmeal is 4 (!!) ingredients and takes around 5 minutes. Decide on what type of oatmeal you want to have, add toppings, and you’re good to go!
Anyway. This is an extremely healthy yet indulgent breakfast. Feel free to play with the toppings and add ins however you wish! I’ve given you a basic oatmeal recipe with lots of variations! The one pictured above is chocolate banana oatmeal with banana slices, chocolate sprinkles, honey, cashew butter and toasted hazelnuts.
– Chocolate Banana – Add 1 tsp cocoa powder and 1/2 mashed banana, top with the other half of the banana slices and chocolate sprinkles/chips
– Pumpkin pie – Add 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice/cinnamon and 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
– Apple pie – Add 1/2 diced apple, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a handful of raisins, replace sugar with honey
– Cinnamon banana bread – Add 1/2 mashed banana and 1/2 tsp cinnamon, replace sugar with honey
– Coffee – Add 1 tsp instant coffee powder and increase sugar by a bit
– Peanut Butter & Jam – Add 1 tsp peanut butter, top with peanut butter and jam
– Pina Colada – Add 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut, top with pineapple/mango/peach
– Fruit & Nut – Add chopped up dried fruits (raisins/dates/dried figs/cranberries/apricots) and nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts/pecans), replace sugar with honey, top with nut butter and more dried fruit and nuts
– Banana Nut Crunch – Add 1/2 mashed banana and chopped nuts, top with granola and sliced banana and more nuts
– Chocolate explosion – Add 1 tsp cocoa powder, chopped dates (optional) and chocolate chips, top with more chocolate chips or chocolate sauce
– Or you could just play around with the add ins and toppings to suit your fancy!
More Topping Ideas
Fresh fruit (berries, mango, pineapple, peach, apple, pear, banana etc.)
Nut Butters, Nutella
Chocolate sprinkles, Chocolate chips, Chocolate sauce
Honey, Maple Syrup, Cinnamon sugar
Granola, Popped Amaranth
Flax seed, sunflower seeds, toasted pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup quick oats
1 cup milk (I used normal low fat milk, but a non-dairy milk like almond or soy would also work)
1/2 – 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar (according to taste, added ingredients and toppings)
1 tsp vanilla essence
Cook milk over low heat
Add oats and sugar, bring to a boil
Add vanilla essence and other add-ins, cook for a a couple of minutes
Transfer to a bowl and add toppings